Monday, September 3, 2012

Homemade Lip Gloss

I've been on a big kick lately with everything being fresh.  Now it's time to make homemade bath products instead of spending all of that money for it at the store.  I know that lip gloss isn't expensive, but no how many times I misplace it and have to buy another, it will be worth it.

Website

Directions
First up.. because the Kool-Aid is what supplies the color to your lip balm I would suggest you purchase a flavor that comes out red.  I mixed cherry and tropical punch together.  I have also done this recipe with Crystal light which tastes much better, but sometimes the crystals don't dissolve as well as the Kool-Aid ones do so it can be tricky.

Gather your supplies and in a microwave safe bowl (I ended up using a mixing cup) put a glob <--- that's a proper measurement right.. ok about a cup into the bowl and heat on high for about a minute. Stir. Do again. This is the repetitive part, I usually browse pinterest on my phone while standing next to the microwave.. or sometimes I eat raw cookie dough from the fridge.. whatever works for you!  Keep repeating this step and make sure to stir, stir and stir some more in between each heating. If you plan on making a lot of these I would suggest doing it in batches as it will be easier to melt down.  **please do in small increments to assure that you do not blow your microwave, also if you have access to double boiler that works great too!
 
Take your bowl of liquid greasiness =) and let cool for just a few seconds, stir in the kool-aid a little at a time and make sure it starts to dissolve (keep stiring!)  The more you add the darker it gets so this is up to you and what you want your lip gloss to look like, I used two whole packets for this pretty color.

Now if you use Crystal Light the flavor is so much better, since the Kool-Aid is bitter I simply pour in a couple packets of stevia just for a little sweet on my lips.  Oh and it's zero calorie in case you ingest the stuff!
 
My Thoughts
It's a very simple process, don't let the directions fool you.  She is just wordy with the directions.
 
I love this.  Vaseline is great for your lips.
 
The only problem is that it tastes so good, I'm scared I'm eating too much of it.  Ha Ha!
 
This will be a recipe that I will keep!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment