Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crock Pot Applesauce

I've mentioned before that I want to go fresh.  Instead of buying applesauce, which is so easy, why not make it?  Might as well complicate things for myself, but at least it's fresh.

Website

Their Picture

Directions

Ingredients:
    8 medium apples (Use a combination of Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Fuji, Gala, etc.) (I filled the crockpot, using about 20 small apples)
    1 strips of lemon peel - use a vegetable peeler
1 tsp fresh lemon juice

3 inch cinnamon stick

5 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked) - or agave


1.  Peel, core and chop the apples.

2.  Add the sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice and cinnamon stick.

3.  Set crock pot to low and cook for 6 hours. Stir apples occasionally, apples will slowly become a delicious applesauce. Remove cinnamon stick and use an immersion blender to blend until smooth or if you prefer a chunky sauce, leave sauce intact. (I used a whisk, which gave the sauce a nice chunky consistency.)

4.  Can and process as you would other recipes or keep refrigerated up to 3 weeks.


My Thoughts

I cut the recipe in half to see if I would like it and it didn't make a lot of sauce.  It's amazing how many apples put in to it and what comes out.  

It needed some sugar, so I will add some.  Other than that, I like the recipe.  It's nice to just put it and and forget about it for awhile.

My Picture
(I use a liner in my pot so I don't have to wash it)


It's a little hard to see.  Sorry about that.  Try it out!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment